If you or a loved one were injured in a rideshare accident in California, turn to the experienced Los Angeles personal injury firm MI ABOGADO®. We will fight tirelessly to hold any and all parties at fault responsible for their actions and help you secure the maximum possible settlement for your losses.
Rideshare services, such as California natives Uber and Lyft, are growing in popularity, with tens of millions of riders across the globe taking a trip using these services each day. More and more people are turning to rideshare services over traditional taxi cabs because they’re more cost-effective and convenient. Rideshare apps allow riders to summon a car to their desired location and a specified time with a pre-determined price, all from their smartphone.
Handling car accident cases involving rideshare services brings new complexities to the table. In addition to all of the normal parties involved in post-car accident litigation, such as drivers, passengers, and insurance companies, now there are multi-billion-dollar corporations involved with strict policies, in-house investigators and experts, and dedicated legal teams with one goal in mind: the company’s profit. These companies will investigate any accidents thoroughly, looking for any opening to deny you rightful compensation for your losses. If you or a loved one were involved in a rideshare accident, it’s imperative you seek aggressive representation from an experienced personal injury attorney.
We represent more than just rideshare passengers. We are well-prepared to represent rideshare drivers, along with any other motorists, bicyclists, pedestrians, and scooter riders involved in a rideshare accident.
Common Causes of Rideshare Accidents
It is estimated that there are over 300,000 rideshare drivers on California roads. To keep costs low, rideshare services operate with their drivers as “independent contractors”. This is so they can keep costs lower, have less responsibility for the actions of their drivers, and deflect liability whenever possible. By using carefully crafted language, they keep liability coverage at a minimum for all parties using and operating these services.
Some common causes of rideshare accidents include:
- Rideshare driver error. Rideshare drivers don’t receive any specific training and the requirements to drive for rideshare companies are near-nonexistent. Most companies require that the driver is of a certain age, has a valid driver’s license with at least one year of experience driving, has access to an approved 4-door vehicle, and has proper proof of registration and insurance, nothing more. The company will do a basic background check, and absent any major red flags, just about anyone can become a rideshare driver. There are no drug tests and the drivers are not fingerprinted. Rideshare drivers thus are susceptible to making the same mistakes as any other driver, such as distracted driving, fatigued driving, impaired driving, reckless or aggressive driving, speeding, failing to obey traffic laws, failing to signal when changing lanes or turning, and the like. Because rideshare drivers are regularly using their phones to accept and complete rideshare rides, and use their GPS during the ride, the risk of distracted driving is heightened.
- Third-party motorist error. The rideshare driver, like any driver, must contend with all other vehicles on the road. A third-party driver’s negligence, for countless reasons, could result in an accident involving a rideshare vehicle.
- Vehicle malfunctions. While human error is the leading cause of car accidents, there are times when equipment breaks down and results in accidents. This could be due to manufacturing or design flaws, or for negligent vehicle upkeep. Unlike taxi cab companies, rideshare corporations are not responsible for inspecting or maintaining the vehicles their independent contractor drivers use.
- Dangerous road conditions. Like any motorist, rideshare drivers can get into accidents due to dangerous road conditions. California’s government is responsible for ensuring that public roads are maintained and safe to drive on, but sometimes they fail to meet these obligations, and accidents occur as a result of potholes, missing guardrails, malfunctioning traffic lights, dangerous intersections, and the like. If you were involved in a rideshare accident due to poorly maintained roads, you may also be able to file a lawsuit against the government for failing to meet their duties.
- Dangerous weather conditions. No motorist, rideshare driver, or otherwise can control the weather. Driving in dangerous weather conditions, such as heavy rain, snow, ice, wind, fog, and more can result in accidents.
- Rideshare company negligence. For the most part, rideshare companies are able to escape liability for accidents because their drivers are independent contractors. However, they may be liable if their negligence contributed to the accident, such as failing to conduct a comprehensive background check or improperly instructing drivers on how to operate their vehicles.
Common Rideshare Accident Injuries
Like any car accident, rideshare accidents can result in serious, even fatal injuries. These injuries can sometimes result in lifelong complications, disfigurement, and disabilities. Rideshare passengers are even more prone to these injuries if they weren’t wearing a seatbelt. An experienced personal injury attorney like MI ABOGADO ® has a network of trusted medical professionals and can help you ensure you get the highest quality medical care.
The injuries that most commonly occur following a rideshare accident include:
- Lacerations, scrapes, and cuts
- Broken bones, including rib fractures
- Chest injuries
- Internal injuries
- Leg and knee injuries
- Neck and shoulder injuries, such as whiplash
- Back and spinal cord injuries, sometimes resulting in paralysis
- Head injuries, including skull fractures and traumatic brain injuries
- Loss of limbs or extremities
- Permanent disabilities and impairments
- Wrongful death
- Emotional damage such as PTSD
How MI ABOGADO® Can Help You with Your Rideshare Accident Claim
The experienced personal injury law team at MI ABOGADO® is no stranger to any type of personal injury case, rideshare accidents included. With nearly 300,000 clients served and a 96% success rate, lead Attorney Javaheri has a lot of experience in the field and has been recognized by many prestigious organizations for his skillset
Our team, through this experience, understands that people turn to a personal injury attorney at some of the most vulnerable moments of their lives. Following a rideshare accident, you already have enough on your plate, and figuring out how to navigate the legal ramifications and finding a way to rebuild your life – while recovering from your injuries – may seem impossible. That’s why it’s our mission at MI ABOGADO® to handle every detail of your case, from start to finish, not letting a single detail slip through the cracks, while relentlessly fighting for the largest settlement possible. We want you to focus on what matters most: you, your family, and your recovery. We’ll take care of the rest.
Our comprehensive services begin with a thorough investigation of the accident, so we can ascertain a cause and which parties could be held accountable for their negligence. We will collect every piece of evidence there is, interview witnesses, and build the strongest possible case. From there, we will line up expert witnesses to bolster that case, exploring every avenue to strengthen your case and increase the amount you could recover.
That’s when the negotiations begin. We’ll take on the parties, their lawyers, the insurance companies, and the billion-dollar rideshare organizations, fighting aggressively for a settlement that truly reflects the value of your losses. While we hope to obtain a fair settlement out of court, saving you the time, uncertainty, and grief associated with taking your case to trial, we are prepared to bring your case to trial if that’s what it takes for you to see justice and rightful compensation.
The primary sources of funds for recovery come from the driver’s insurance company and the rideshare company’s insurance policies. If the driver is not using the ridesharing app at the time of the accident, the only source of coverage is the driver’s personal insurance policy. If the driver is on the app but hasn’t secured a passenger, the rideshare company must provide an additional $200,000 in liability insurance. If the driver has a rideshare passenger in the car, the rideshare company must provide a mandatory minimum of $1,000,000 in liability insurance.
Contact Our Skilled Los Angeles Rideshare Accident Attorney Today
The team at MI ABOGADO® understands that after a rideshare accident resulting in injuries, you’re likely struggling to stay afloat between medical bills, lost wages, and an uncertain future. That’s why we don’t take a penny from our clients before they get paid for their losses. That’s right, no upfront fees. We are so confident in our services that we will not take a cent from you until we win you a just settlement.
Contact us today for a free, confidential consultation. We also offer free second opinions. Let us get started fighting for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I do if I am involved in a ridesharing accident in Los Angeles?
If you are involved in a ridesharing accident in Los Angeles, you should first seek medical attention for any injuries. You should also contact the police to report the accident and exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s). Additionally, you should notify the ridesharing company of the accident as soon as possible and preserve any evidence, such as photos of the accident scene and your injuries.
Who is liable for a ridesharing accident in Los Angeles?
Liability for a ridesharing accident in Los Angeles can be complicated and depend on the specific facts and circumstances of the case. In some cases, the ridesharing company, the driver, or both may be liable for the accident and resulting injuries. It’s important to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney to evaluate your claim and determine the appropriate parties to pursue for compensation.
What types of compensation can I recover in a ridesharing accident claim in Los Angeles?
If you are injured in a ridesharing accident in Los Angeles, you may be entitled to compensation for a variety of damages, including medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering, and property damage. Additionally, if the ridesharing driver was acting in the course and scope of their employment at the time of the accident, you may be able to recover additional damages from the ridesharing company under California law.
How long do I have to file a ridesharing accident claim in Los Angeles?
In California, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims, including ridesharing accidents, is generally two years from the date of the accident. However, there may be exceptions or shorter deadlines that apply, depending on the specific circumstances of the case. It’s important to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible to ensure that your claim is timely filed.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a ridesharing accident in Los Angeles, contact our law firm today for a free consultation with an experienced personal injury attorney. We can help you understand your legal options, protect your rights, and maximize your recovery.